One of my friends bought a Vodafone R216 pocket wifi a few months ago. At the time of purchase, he was told that the device can be used with any SIM in any part of the world. But when he inserted the SIM other than the one which came with the device, it didn’t show any network. Meaning is clear, the device is locked to a specific provider. So he came to me and requested to unlock so that it can be used with other SIM also.
How to unlock Vodafone R216 Router
- Charge your Vodafone router at least 80% and connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Disconnect the active internet connection.
- Download Vodafone R216 21.110.99.06.00 Firmware from here.
- Extract it and run the setup file. It will ask you to enter the password, which can be generated from here.
- Download DC-Unlocker from here, and click on the magnifying glass icon to display your device details.
- Jump to the end of the results displayed by the app and type AT^NVRDEX=50503,0,128 and press enter from the keyboard.
- The App will generate some hexadecimal codes which you have to copy and paste in the comment section to get the unlock code.
- Download the second firmware (Vodafone Version 21.315.03.01.11) from here.
- Once you receive the unlock code, run the firmware downloaded in the previous step.
- It may ask you to enter the password, enter the exact code generated in step 4 and let the installation finish.
- After the installation is over, insert incompatible SIM into the device and switch on your router.
- It will ask for the code, enter the unlock code received from us and enjoy your unlocked router.
If your device has higher firmware than the above procedure may not work, so you will have to unscrew the device. In that case, the process is little different and given below.
Download the following files:
- Unscrew the device, remove the front cover and let the battery be inside.
- Shot the points marked in the picture, after you have joined these two points, plug in the USB cable without disconnecting the points. Now check the Device Manager of your PC, it should show a new device in the com port section. If your device manager is not showing any COM port like the one in the picture below, you will have to repeat the step again.
- Open Balong USB Downloader tool which you have downloaded earlier and click on the detect button. Your device will get detected as BOOT_3G.
- Click on 3 dots and select the usbloader.bin file downloaded earlier. Finally, click on Load.
- Do not interrupt this process or disconnect the USB cable even if the app freezes. Once progress bar is full, you will notice that your computer will beep and will start installing a new device driver. If you open the device manager at this stage, you will find one more COM port in addition to the previous one. You can close the BALONG tool now.
- If you can see the two ports as seen in the picture above you are good to go. Go to the phase I and continue with the step 3 and complete both the phases.
Unlock code is not free. You will have to pay 6 USD to get the Unlock Code. Kindly proceed only if you are ready to pay the same.